When planning your dream wedding, it’s easy to get ahead of yourself with excitement and lose sight of what you can actually afford. No couple that I’ve met has ever assured me, that although they just got engaged last weekend, they’ve been saving for their wedding for years.
Weddings can be an expensive venture, but they don’t have to be! Finding ways to save money upfront can help you splurge on that beautiful wedding dress or floral design you’ve always dreamed of. Here are a couple wedding planning tips to save money:
- When planning your wedding, consider hiring a wedding planner. Yes, wedding planners cost money but they can also help you set a realistic budget and provide vendor contacts that are more in your price range. Some vendors even provide vendor-to-vendor discounts when referred by a planner. In the end, a wedding planner can save you thousands of dollars.
- Make sure that you know how much vendor services cost in your area. You do not want to budget $2,000 for photography services and realize the prices start at $4,000 in your area. This will help ensure that you have a realistic budget.
- Use a wedding budget worksheet so that you can keep a realistic mindset when planning. Even if you prefer to not enlist the help of a wedding planner, using a budget worksheet will help keep you on track.
- Consider DIY projects. Making your own centerpieces vs. using a floral arrangement can save you hundreds of dollars. You can make everything from your invites to your own bouquet. Use websites like Craigslist, eBay, and etsy for bargain deals. Remember that every time someone gets married, they may end up selling items from their wedding that you could possibly use for yours. Check out Capitol Romance’s Classifieds for some cool items up for grabs as we speak.
DIY Centerpiece from Danielle + Brittani’s Baltimore Southern Gatsby Wedding
Photo Cred: Melissa McClain Photography
- Cut back on the guest list. The truth is, the more people that you invite, the more your wedding will cost. Although it will be a hard decision, consider not inviting the co-worker you barely talk to or the neighbor you hardly know. Put it into perspective this way, are you comfortable with spending $100+ on them for dinner? If the answer is no, nix them.
- Find a venue that already has a decorative flair that you love. It will save you on having to buy extra flowers or decorations.
Jacqui + Jose’s Ceremony at The Hendry House required no additional flowers to accentuate the site. Small arrangements of baby’s breath lined the aisle only.
Photo Cred: Stephanie Kopf Photography
- Have a wedding somewhere all- inclusive. Packages normally include everything from food to the officiant and can save you thousands of dollars. Stay tuned for a blog post on Monet + Marcellus’ wedding in the Dominican Republic!
- Lastly, consider booking your wedding in between January and April for cheaper prices. Also, skip having a Saturday wedding. Saturday is the day a venue will charge the highest price for rental.
There are many other wedding planning tips without ruining your dream wedding. Check out this list made by TheKnot.com!
Tiffany Rivera is a Wedding Planner & Event Planner serving DC, Maryland, Virginia and beyond!